Green smoothies are super healthy and super easy to make, and they just might change your life like they did mine.
What Is A Green Smoothie?
A green smoothie is a smoothie using fresh fruits and dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, chard, collards, and even dandelion greens (my favorite!). These smoothies are naturally dairy-free, using creamy fruits like bananas, mangoes or papayas to give them a smooth texture.
Why Green Smoothies?
There are many reasons to drink green smoothies, but here are my top 5:
- Easiest way to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables into your diet every single day. If you struggle with salads and eating green, you’ll find green smoothies exciting and doable!
- Weight loss becomes much easier when I drink at least one green smoothie every day (I lost 40 pounds). Thousands of my green smoothie challenge participants would agree!
- The immune-boosting benefits of green smoothies mean that I get sick a LOT less often, and may also lower my risk for many health conditions such as diabetes and cancer.
- Green smoothies provide natural energy without caffeine. I no longer rely on coffee to get through the day and my energy levels are through the roof!
- They are quick and easy to make, and portable. And delicious!
Ready to start blending? Here’s a quick primer on how to make the perfect green smoothies!
Step 1 – Add A Liquid
Start with 8-10 ounces (237-296 milliliters) of either plain water, coconut water, or almond milk (homemade recipe). You can also use organic soy milk. I recommend skipping the dairy (that includes yogurt) when making green smoothies.
Step 2 – Add A Creamy Base Fruit
For a creamy green smoothie, add one of the following fruits: banana, mango, peach, pear, apple or 1 cup of papaya. These fruits have a “creamy” texture that will give your blend a smoothie texture. Also try adding 1/4 avocado for some extra creaminess and heart-healthy fat.
Step 3 – Add 1-2 Flavor Fruits
For delicious flavor combinations, blend your base fruits with berries or more water-rich fruits like oranges, kiwifruits, berries and pineapples. You can also add additional base fruits if you want (may thicken your smoothie more).
My favorite green smoothie flavor blends are:
– 1 Banana (base fruit) with 1 cup strawberries
– 1 Mango (base fruit) with 1 cup pineapple
– 1 Pear (base fruit) with 1 orange
– 1 Apple (base fruit) with 1/2 to 1 cup blueberries
Step 4 – Pulse It Now!
Hold down the “Pulse” button until the ingredients are lightly mixed into a “sludge”. Doing this before adding the greens will make it easier for you and your blender. This step is not necessary if you are using a high end blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
Step 5 – Add Leafy Greens!
It’s not a green smoothie without a handful or two of dark, leafy greens! If you are brand new to green smoothies, start with fresh baby spinach since it has the most mild flavor. Once you have a few green smoothies behind you, try out the nutritional rock stars like dandelion greens (my favorite), kale, chard, collards, parsley (yep!), and even romaine lettuce.
Step 6 – Blend It Up!
Blend on high for anywhere between 30-60 seconds or until all ingredients are whirling away, your smoothie turns bright (or dark) green, and it’s smooth as silk!
- Too thick? Add some extra liquid and blend for a few seconds to thin.
- Is your blender struggling to make things smooth? Try blending your greens and liquid together first, then add the fruit and blend a second time.
- Looking for a better blender? Here are my blender recommendations for any budget.
Boost Your Green Smoothies!
If you really want to kick things up a notch or two nutritionally, then try adding a quality protein powder, goji berries, raw cacao powder, chia seeds, maca root, and even sea vegetables. While these add-ons are purely optional, they each provide added benefits that make my green smoothies even better.
Here are some of my favorite green smoothie boosters (and why I use them).
Now Go Make Some Delicious Green Smoothies!
If you love green smoothies, then you are going to love my Green Smoothie Boot Camp. Sign up for free and you will get weekly recipes and grocery list (makes it even easier to follow).
I also have hundreds of green smoothie recipes on my website!
Tracy Russell is the creator of RESET 28: A 28-Day Program For Energy, Weight Loss & A Healthy Glow, and founder of Incredible Smoothies. She has been helping people take control of their health and well being with green smoothies, a whole foods diet, and fitness since 2009.