Since going vegan, I have missed my favorite holiday treat – eggnog. While there are highly processed soy-based “nogs” on the market, (and a couple rice and almond-based products), I prefer to make things fresh using whole foods.
This recipe uses fresh, homemade almond milk, frozen banana, dates, a touch of vanilla and spices to reproduce a thick, creamy version of this holiday treat. Did I say it’s a lot healthier, too?
This recipe makes about 16 ounces, which makes two servings. Of course, I drank the whole batch!
You can add nutmeg or cinnamon if you prefer, but I found these to be just the right amounts for me.
- 1-and-1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 2 frozen bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 date, soaked for 10 minutes
- dash of ground clove
- Vanilla from 1/2 vanilla bean (How to use vanilla bean.), or use 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (alcohol-free recommended)
- dash of sea salt
Start by adding the liquid to your blender (I use a Vitamix), blend on high for 20 seconds or until there are no chunks of frozen banana left. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg if desired.
Calories: 320 (160/serving)
Fat: 2g (2g/serving)
Protein: 4g (2g/serving)
Carbohydrates: 72g (36g/serving)
Fiber: 7.7g (3.6g/serving)
Serving Size: Two 8-ounce servings.
Browse more green smoothie recipes.