I love apple pie but I don’t love all the sugar, fat and other unhealthy stuff in it. This is my healthy solution! In fact, you could lose weight while enjoying the flavors of fresh apple pie.
Apples are great for weight loss. They are loaded with fiber to help you feel fuller longer. They provide a good dose of antioxidants and vitamins.
Studies suggest that apples may protect against osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s disease. Diets rich in fruits and vegetables that contain apples may help prevent lung, breast, colon and liver cancers.
The next time you are tempted to ditch your diet and dive into an apple pie, consider this healthy, and equally delicious, smoothie alternative.
Apple Pie Smoothie Recipe
- 2 red delicious apples, cored (with peel)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup whole pecans *
- 8 ounces of homemade almond milk (unsweetened, without vanilla)
Start by adding the liquid to your blender (I use a Vitamix), followed by the soft fruit. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
* You can make this recipe two different ways. If you prefer the flavor of apple pie filling, leave out the pecans from the recipe above. If you like the whole apple pie, crust and all, then add the pecans.
Other Pie Smoothies
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calcium: 2% RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance)
Vitamin A: 6% RDA
Vitamin C: 18% RDA
Serving Size: Two
Enjoy more great smoothies recipes like this one, by joining my fun and delicious 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge!.